In February 2008, I travelled to Mumbai to visit a friend. It was cool and very pleasant as I sat on the sea wall on Marine Boulevard looking out over the Arabian Sea. Next thing I knew was a young map seller sitting next to me.

With his wild black hair, sparkling eyes and gentle manner, Raj had entered my world. He wanted me to buy a map for 500 rupees (about £8), not a great deal of money, a great deal in India. He obviously felt that I was a good bet for a sale.

We talked. He spoke about his life as a Rajput who had left home to find his fortune for he needed the money to marry his long time sweetheart. He showed me a picture of a ravishing beauty and immediately I could see why he yearned to put his world right.

He spoke about the poor place that he lived in, and the crushing obstacles that he faced everyday to sell overpriced maps with so much going to his boss.

I had no need of a map. I was travelling light but in my pocket was 10,000 rupees (about £160). I gave it to him together with my business card and wished him well. There were no histrionics from Raj, just a very polite 'thank you', a firm handshake and off he went but as he went, he looked backwards and smiled.

A month later, in Bangkok, I received an excited phone call from Raj. He had invested the money into Tee shirts and his stall was doing very well. He thanked me. I said stay in touch. That was nearly 5 years ago.

I have just got an email. An invite from Raj to visit him in Jaipur when I next go to India to meet him and his wife. Now the owner of a larger store, he is doing very well in Life. Somehow, we both felt on that fateful day in Mumbai 5 years ago that something bigger than us brought us together.

Who would ever say that Destiny is not written into every one of our lives? I shall cherish that day when I met Raj until the day I pass as it proved to me that Life is what we make it and that when opportunity comes knocking, we must grasp it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Journey

Life is never predictable, it is meant to be this way

Making Life Choices