Johnny Hallyday ....

Johnny Hallyday, the name will mean nothing to people outside France but he was huge in the French pop culture.

I remember a school visit to Paris in 1962: I was a pubescent 13 year old and in love with the Venner sisters, I am not sure the attraction was reciprocated. Anyway, we were all on the dodgems in a funfair on the Left Bank, slightly intoxicated in equal measure by drinking the cheap brandy I had bought, the excitement of the location and I fancied my chances with the dark haired sirens.

The music blaring out was Johnny Hallyday, the French Elvis Presley. He was good .... mais - malheureusement  - Johnny etait francais and French pop did not travel. And then - horror - two sleek handsome, slim hipped French guys appeared and the Venner sisters didn't need a second's thought ...

Wandering the banks of the Seine that night, unrequited love for me is associated with this man .... sleep well Johnny RIP

Johnny Hallyday: French rock star dies at 74 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42247551

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Life Choices

Life is never predictable, it is meant to be this way

My Personal Journey